100k Tournament

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
_FSF_Zornmeister's picture
100k Tournament

I'd like to hear some opinions of the community about the 100k announcement by BHG. Browsing the other sites it seems that hardly any reaction would be less than enthusiastic. While I do welcome such a massive event as well (of course) it might also come with some negative side-effects if not carried through properly.

'Mercenaries'
Is going to be an obvious appearance in RoL scene.
While they will certainly increase the average skill level amongst RoL communities it is the kind of players that do not necessarily play for the love of the game but out of purely professional motives. Generally a community cannot be based on mercenaries as they tend to rather not integrate that well and prefer the touch of exclusivity. If the 100k tourney turns out to be a 'one-timer' by BHG those skilled players might vanish just as quickly as they have appeared. In the long run this would not help at all.

Focus on competitive 1v1 gaming.
While 1v1 gaming does play a major role in RTS games I - as a n00b amateur - fear that team games do get too little attention and support by MS/BHG. 1v1 clearly has it's good sides. But in the end it is the team games that enforce the phenomenon of clans and the formation of an active and friendly community.

These are just 2 thoughts that popped into my mind when I decided to open this thread. They are purely subjective. That's why I'd be really interested to hear other people's view on this. I do think that the coverage and attention that RoL is going to get is definitely going to help. Still I'd advise BHG to not focus their whole energy on one single event that causes major havoc but is over quicker than one might think What comes after this ? The people in charge should try and think beyond the 100k and try to create a stable community together with the community and not by turning their whole attention to pro gaming. Hopefully this is the case already Smile

Kaveman's picture
Re: 100k Tournament

For $100K you could setup a 'perfect' inhouse server system for your own game.

$100K in prize money simply attracts more aloof pro gamers than we already have in the existing expert bracket.

It would do nothing to get more people to play or buy the game and would certainly not do one thing for the cmmunity. Free sites like this do more for 'community' than any amount of prize money.

I want fun, not money.

partysnatcher's picture

I didn't expect this to work either, and frankly I was "praying" for this not to be another cash thing, hoping for some kind of massive promotion campaign or similarly.

But I have to say it's been amazing to follow the reactions "around the internet" and to see how enthusiastic new players have been.

With a name like Intel in the back, and a prize purse like that, I realize, the RoL name seems to have a much more solid and established "feel" over it. It doesn't need to compare itself to WC3 anymore to get players. It stands on it's own feet.

So after reviewing reactions, I consider this great news. Now the important thing is to spread the news about this.

I want fun too, and if we have more people playing RoL, the game will become deeper and more advanced, and we will have more fun. MOR, gr.org, everyone involved will benefit if there are more RoL-players.

FUN_Floater_Hun's picture

I rather wait for the official anouncement, its hard to believe. And I wouldnt comment on it until I read every deteils of the tournament.

I hope it wont be a lottery, and neither will it be the cash cow of the only best 3 players.

In Tenis, or Poker or in every great sports even the 100th best player of the world can get rich, but so far in online games its too great risk to spend not only holiday hours in game. The pyramids of cash prizes are too thin /and the amount too/

DakiMagro's picture

hi Floater.

Tennis player pop => 150,000,000 ppl,
online RTS = at most 1,000,000 ppl
so famouse player have roughly 150 times(order 2...) advertising effect
from the point of view of user scale p;

but CPU, Video Cards, softwares have much better profit ratio or
value than tennis shoes, racket etc. I havent seen Intel/AMD sell
chips with progamer name yet. there are only periferals like keyboard,
mouse with fps pro name/logo.

Poker(Stumpy!!) i dunno, but if we play Poker competitively,
have to bet money according to rate.
high risk high return things which i did younger days.
(i used to play japanese chess, mah-jang tho)

i noticed, i play real time things everyday unbecomming to my old age,
but i played turn based strategy(chess, mah-jang, other strategy games)
when young. it's funny. and i prefer to realtime things Smile

FUN_Ulatech's picture

As I moved to Poker I would like to comment posts about. Dirol

Poker tournament requirements:
- Have to pay a buy-in with house fee, like $10+$1 (except freerolls).
- A computer and net connection for online poker (usually one has it anyway)
- You need to transport and maybe accomodate yourself for live poker.

Prizes:
- Players buy-ins (usually only this and almost always main part)
- Possible overlay from organizer (guaranted prize pool, extra prizes etc.)

BHG 100k tournament requirements:
- Game
- Computer with the latest hardware and net connection

Prizes:
- One time 100k from BHG (40+xk? for 1st)

Let's say that 1.000 players try to win that BHG 100k tourny, so it is $100 prize money/participant. How much will it cost to buy the latest hardware and the game?
If you going to buy them anyway or have already, then the tourny is kind of free.

The cost to participate for Poker would be $100+$10=$110/participant, if there is no overlay. The best ones wouldn't play this low, so there are easier opponents than in RoL.
I choose Poker for money. :twisted:

Also it is only a one timer for RoL, so one cannot depend on it.
And as in Poker, there is a high variance on how high you get in that one tourney, unless you are one of the best (maybe even then).

But RTS are fun for competitive gaming and for just gaming. Biggrin

Btw. Poker isn't a high risk game, if you can control yourself and your bankroll.

LR_Aurelius_Sancti's picture

Hear in the long distance...the sneakers of Korean pro gamers approaching to prepare to loot... :roll:

_FSF_Tufnuf's picture

LR_Aurelius_Sancti wrote:

Hear in the long distance...the sneakers of Korean pro gamers approaching to prepare to loot... :roll:

They are wearing sandles and robes Blum 3

Stereotype we got here is that they were Greenpeace shirts, walk on worn-out Nike sneakers, eat cold pizza's, drink Cola after the bubbles are gone and plunder online communities for their cash. And yes, they all look the same. Shok

Valkyrie's picture

I think it would have been a much better investment for BHG to spend its money fixing multiplayer issues such as the infamous "chat" bug which forces people to rehost about half the team games in custom.

And most of us who enjoy the community atmosphere and team play are still hoping for a better multiplayer lobby/general chat.

Catering to a few "experts" is certainly not going to give a big boost to online numbers. They will come for the tournament, play, then leave as soon as it's over.

Most people aren't pros, they buy the game to have fun.

Bad move BHG.

_Warrior_Kanishka's picture

yea agreed with valky cause i think ppls play gamr for FUN not for earning money and wasting time for practcing the game leaving all work ;)!!

I think they could have rather made RON 2 with the money inspite of spenting it uselessly!! :S Sad

DakiMagro's picture

100k offered from Intel not BHG.

i guess, such a big money is required to brainwash customers
with high-speed image of their products.

Compared to 15 sec TV spot for 1/2 year ~= 10,000,000$
100,000$ is cheap investiment and well targeted,
more effective for Intel.

AU_devilz's picture

But why would Intel give such a mount of money for RoL, becouse there is only like 200 players playing this game?! There are a lot of other "better" games. They didnt give a cent for RoN.

Beertender's picture

I kinda love it... I-m so happy

KRG_OlliE's picture

It all depends how Intel and Microsoft are planning future events. This tournament will not "just" be for the 200 rol players (actually I think there are alot more) but it's a platform for Intel to show their (supposed) dedication to gamers all around the world.

Note that BHG will never have this kind of money to invest in a tournament but their partners (Nvidia, MS, Intel, etc.) now have the opportunity to reach an important but hard to reach segment of a profitable market, which should give them some competitive advantage over their competitors. Remember that Intel and AMD control almost the world production of chipsets and $100.000 is like pocket change for these guys :)!

I think it's a great development that hardware producers are finally following for example the manufacturers of sport clothing (Nike, Adidas etc.), and are sponsoring at big tournaments. Sure it's a bit weird to pick RoL and not WC3, but I bet Microsoft encouraged them to put their money on RoL!

_AFO_Georgie's picture

I think this tournament is in fact, the best thing ever. I may be biased because I think I have a semi-realistic shot at taking home a little bit of that prize.

I also think it is the best chance RoL has of developing an expert community... playing the same 5-10 people all the time sux.

_Warrior_Kanishka's picture

Yea Agreed with Georgie a bit cause it's good for games to play with outside World Biggrin

Not to play with 1 person again and again Smile

corugnoll's picture

I will start playing RoL because of this tournament....guess im a mercenary now Blush

aShuN's picture

mercs mercs :O

Kaveman's picture

Mercenaries and others better check small print in rules if under the age of 18.

corugnoll's picture

19!^^

SeburzaL's picture

This is, almost certainly, the best thing that could have happened to RoL. As put before - this shows that the game has a serious class to it and that it can compete with the top dogs of WC3 and Starcraft etc. It is vitally vitally important for RoL to get this sort of coverage and these sorts of tournaments as without them the community flickers and dies as in RoN. You need a large strong base of expert players for the game to get seriously big. Warcraft had money behind it - oodles of money - and that is why, with all those big tournaments and events, there are hundreds of top players playing it - as well as legions of adoring fans and intermediate players. The game is obviously top notch is well - but so is RoL, just not single player.

BHG put more than most in their multiplayer this time round. Rather than with RoN where it was a very engaging but nevertheless tacked on afterthought. This might just put BHG onto the map worldwide, and with it subsequent games, which we all love, will be both popular and successful. If BHG makes yet more money - then they will have the malleability and the marketability to make a game, probably Rise of Nations 2, that will become the predominant RTS of the next 5 years. This is just a small step, but it's a exciting one, and shows that the Rise Of brand is breaking out of a laughed at Niche. My computer gaming friends all play Counterstrike and Warcraft. When I say "Yeh well I was a top Ron player at one time." - all I often get is sort of blank "yeh whatever" looks. Now I won't - woohoo. Biggrin

admin's picture

Since when exactly are you on BHG's payroll ? Wink

_FSF_Zornmeister wrote:

Since when exactly are you on BHG's payroll ? Wink

Since he gets 20% from each tournament prize BHG issues. I-m so happy